Monday, February 21, 2011

Indian Food Night



I did a bit of cooking yesterday, I will post the other results of that productivity tomorrow, but it did include an Indian feast.

The top picture was our appetizer, samosas. I actually used the recipe for the empanada crust (see post below) and added curry powder into the crust, but only used white flour. I stuffed them with potatoes, corn and peas mixed with spices. They were pretty good, but I need some better Indian spices and possibly follow a recipe to get the to taste more authentic.

Our main dish was chicken tikki masala (adapted the recipe from Eat Live Run). This required marinading the chicken in a yogurt mix, but I substituted sour cream as I did not want to use my Greek yogurt for this purpose. Then I skewered the chicken and broiled until cooked. The sauce is a combination of onions, spices, tomatoes and heavy cream. I added the cooked chicken after 10 minutes of simmering and warmed through. The chicken was very tender and the sauce was a bit spicy. I think if I had garam masala it would have been much better.

Our meal also included almond rice pilaf and steamed spinach & broccoli. We mixed it all together, which was delicious, but not a pretty picture. I would like to try more Indian dishes like this and branch out as I tend to make the same dishes. First step: get more spices!

No comments:

Post a Comment